Saturday, June 26, 2010

It's Time to Donate to a Worthy Cause....

Wow, it's been too long since I've posted! I was reading everyone else's blogs, learning what's new and hot and one in particular said, "It's okay to take a break from blogging". I took the advice! I had a prom to run around for (not mine, I wish!), after prom weekend, final exams, trying to find just the right grill for Father's Day (no luck) and now my 20th anniversary is looming before me and I found what I want to give my betrothed but only have 2 days to hopefully get it in time.

And work has been very good. New clients are finding us and I'm pretty excited to get started on new accounts. With all my good fortune, I've decided that I'd like to donate a portion of my income to a good cause. I'm partial to helping women organizations. I'm looking at some right now.

EngenderHealth: They improve the lives of men, women, and families through it's work in family planning, maternal health, HIV and AIDS, gender equality and many other programs.

I like the idea of promoting gender equality. They educate men to support their partners' reproductive health, promote gender equity, and reduce gender-based violence. Too often women are left with no decision making, poor health care, unfair "divorce" practices, stripping them of all rights they have of a decent human existence. World wide, women carry most the responsibility for work and childbearing, but have little rights.

Young Women's Leadership Network: These organization works with inner city youth with a choice in their education to create an all-female public education options and to motivate low income girls and women to achieve their goals.

I am all about girl power. I want to see more women leaders. It's time for a fresh perspective on how to run the world, don't you think?

Women for Women International: Starting at a grass roots level, they help women sustain their own income, their own decision making, provide strong social networks and safety nets. Because of war and conflict, women and girls often lose everything that ever mattered to them. They have no safe haven to heal, speak of their pain and gain a foot hold again.

This organization helps these survivors return to being an active member in the community. They start the healing process by rebuilding their community, build civil society, start businesses and train other women and serve as role models. They in turn restore peace and stability.

Wow! There's a lot of work to be done out there people! Is there something you are doing to help? I'd love to hear about it. It's time to get to work and help make the world a better place.


www.ywlnetwork.org

www.engenderhealth.org
www.womenforwomen.org

No comments: